Monday 18 September 2017

Where Have I Been, Again?

There's always things I could be talking about, in this blog, but only this post is actually what I could call "time sensitive". I'm aware that I kinda disappeared for a couple of weeks at the start of September, though the weekly roundups are now up to date, so I just want to provide a general update as to what my current situation is.

The current state of limbo surrounding the upcoming house move remains, though it's getting far closer now, and that's why I want to write this kind of post tonight, as I'm going to have increasingly little such time for this in the next few weeks. I'm quizzing in North Wales next weekend, which is relatively inconveniently timed because my house move becomes more or less possible once the carpets are installed - which is likely to be the week either side of that. Still, one or two more weeks is okay.

From a quizzing perspective, part of the reason I'm looking forward to that is the increasing need that I have of a proper work environment. I'm typing this with on my laptop, which is on my knees as my feet rest on the undersheet of a coffee table in my livingroom. My TV looms in the background as I await the news coming on. This is...not conducive to serious hard work. A bit of blogging is possible in such a way, sure, and I've gotten my quizzes done so far in this situation. 

But what I really need is an actual home office, and that's what I'm giving myself in my new house. The dining room will serve that function, and I'll be getting a desktop PC for it, with dual monitors. I remember getting those for the first time in my office job, and it was like another world had been opened up! No more fidgiting around with window sizes and the like, while trying to multitask! Being able to research and write a quiz simultaneously will be a dream, and being able to watch quiz shows without hindering my blogging suddenly becomes much more possible. I could go on and on, but won't. Suffice to say, I feel like I can really step up my work rate once I'm in that situation.

So for now, I'm rushed to get it all sorted while still managing the day to day stuff, trying to fit in some relaxation without letting it get to the excessive levels of the last couple of weeks. There is a balance to be found, and I must find it.

I must also ensure that I start off on the right foot, with proper, healthy routines. Part of this is for practical reasons, part of it because of my overall health. Yes, those mental health issues are always lurking if not kept in check, and as the nights draw in I'll become prone, as usual, to Seasonal Affective Disorder. I've already felt the early onset of that, and it requires proactive management to deal with. I'm in a much better position for that than I was 2 yeas ago, but still, one can never be too careful, especially with the disorientation that comes with leaving my home of the last 4.5 years. As incredible as it will be, it's still a change, and that requires adjustment. That I'm so busy these days is definitely a help with that, since I won't have much time to be caught up my negative emotions, at least I hope.

There's also the small matter of my own next quiz to contend with. Logically it must be coming up again soon, though I'm not sure when. I also haven't started writing it, though I do know what the subjects will be and I do hope to get it completely written by this time a week from now. If they ask me to host next week, I can commit to that. I'll be ready.

Of course, I'm potentially losing my internet for a while during the transition, and not knowing exactly when the move will happen makes it difficult to plan for that. Still, if the quiz is ready, I can handle it.

As for my absence...bad habits. Haven't yet found the balance, and complacency doesn't suit me very well, unfortunately. I've still ben quizzing though, as you can tell, and I'm off out again now for my 2nd of the week. G is hosting, I believe, so it will be a tough quiz. That automatically suggests a potential open team slot, in his own True Blue. Might go straight for it, if BTAS are a foursome again. Only one way to find out!

Hmm, can't think of anything else to say. Must have thousands of words that I wanted to say in this post and have forgotten. I'll let you off the hook and hit "submit" now before I have time to think of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment